Participation in Extra-Curricular activities plays a hugely important role in the educational process. At Scoil Aireagail students are encouraged to participate in extra-curricular activities, whether they be artistic, social or sporting in nature.
- The annual musical concert showcases the musical talent of the students.
- Students are encouraged to enter numerous art competitions and have been successful on many occasions. The school’s entries to the Iverk Craft Show have won a multitude of awards.
We have been awarded the BLAST Arts in Education Residency Programme for the second year in a row this year. This is a wonderful opportunity for us to engage with a fully funded Artist / Creative Practitioner in Residence who will collaborate and work with our Art teacher and some of her students in an ongoing approach to enhance the integration of the arts and creativity in education.
- Students have raised funds for many causes including St. Vincent de Paul, Breast Cancer Ireland, Childline, Pieta House and other worthy causes.
- The Green Schools Committee promotes environmental issues.
- School trips and tours are a regular feature of school life. These include our annual International school tour -this year students will vist Paris, year group day trips, Transition Year tours and Gaeltacht tours.
- We have a very active Student Council Committee
Scoil Aireagail boasts a proud tradition of sporting participation and success in a variety of sports. The school has enjoyed success in many sporting disciplines over the years and students are offered the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of sports while at Scoil Aireagail.
Hurling and Camogie
Hurling and camogie are of course very much part of our culture, where our school teams have been hugely successful at local and interprovincial level.
Indeed, many of our past students have gone on to play for their county. The school has contributed significantly to the Kilkenny hurling cause. In the last twelve years alone students from Scoil Aireagail have won over 60 All-Ireland medals at various levels, including minor and senior All- Irelands and club All-Irelands.
Our boys and girls are also involved in Gaelic Football, Basketball, Handball, Soccer, Badminton and Athletics.
What our first year students say about life in Scoil Aireagail…..
Cian Franks: “The teachers are really nice. They are kind and it’s fun to learn here.”
Abby O’Brien: “The Cairdeas mentors play games with us. It’s great to meet new friends. My favourite subject is PE. The teachers are great at getting everyone involved.”
Saoirse Walsh: “All the students here are really friendly and will help you if you need it.”